John 8:4 (KJV)
They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
A common criticism against Christianity is that we use circular reasoning; we prove the Bible by the Bible. This is the same criticism the Pharisees leveled against Jesus; He proved He is God by saying He is God.
The fact is that Jesus had no higher proof to appeal to. God claiming to be God makes perfect sense.
- It is reasonable for God to appeal to Himself as God
- It is reasonable for the Bible to appeal to itself that it is true
Furthermore every real truth appeals to itself to verify it is true:
- If we question whether a certain measurement is an inch we verify it by measuring an inch
- If we question whether a thing is level we verify it by comparing it to level
- If we challenge whether a thing is plumb we verify it by comparing it to plumb
The same is the case with an historical event. We verify a witness of an event with a witness of the event.
Only truth can verify truth therefore only God can verify God and only the Word of God can verify the Word of God.
To my reader:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others
John 8:4 (KJV) Circular Reasoning?
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free. Email me for a free one month VIP membership.