Acts 17:13 (KJV)
But when the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was preached of Paul at Berea, they came thither also, and stirred up the people.
We all go through seasons that are just not pleasant. Paul went through one of those in this chapter.
- Thessalonica was so dangerous Paul only stayed three Sabbaths.
- Berea looked like it was going to be a great work until the Jews of Thessalonica came and ran him again out of town
- Athens wasn’t violent but it may have been the most discouraging of all because, with a few exceptions, his message had no power upon them
And all of this was after Paul’s imprisonment in Philippi.
Paul becomes a case study in avoiding burnout right here. He left Athens to go to Corinth where Paul later testified he came to town discouraged. I see these as Paul’s tools to lift himself out of despondency:
- First he never quit witnessing or worshipping.
- Second he got a bit of alone time
- Third he found some friends
- Fourth he got some diversion
- Fifth he got some support
Corinth turned out to be a great ministry for the apostle.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others
Acts 17:13 A Case Study in Avoiding Burnout
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free. Email me for a free one month VIP membership.