Jeremiah 47:6-7 (KJV)
O thou sword of the LORD, how long will it be ere thou be quiet? put up thyself into thy scabbard, rest, and be still.
How can it be quiet, seeing the LORD hath given it a charge against Ashkelon, and against the sea shore? there hath he appointed it.
It is, I believe, an example of wondrous kindness that the very same prophet pronouncing this judgment would also beg that the judgment be stopped.
It is even more remarkable when we consider:
- That the recipient of this judgment was an enemy of Israel and had been for generations.
- That the executioner of this judgment had also judged Jerusalem
The child of God wishes no evil on anyone, not even his greatest enemies. We long to see them:
- Reconciled to God
- Changed and united with the people of God
And so we pray
Yet there is a truth that cannot be escaped; those who are not united to Christ in saving faith have no option but the wrath of God.
- There is no other grace but Jesus
- There is no other salvation but the gospel
- There is no other prayer that can deliver one from this judgment except the humble prayer of repentance, calling upon Christ for salvation
Christians don’t want any to suffer this wrath, but we are bound to warn all that, except they repent, they shall likewise perish.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others
Jeremiah 47:6-7 No Other Grace But Jesus
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.